Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 15:02:39 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        AmbiSIG <np27ja@mail.telepac.pt>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Free IP Address

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, AmbiSIG wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I would like to know what free IP addresses are there for me to use
> in my office. I belive there two of them, but if you could send me
> some information I would be much obliged.
>

> looking forward to hear from you,
>

> Luis Garcia

I don't know what you mean by that. If you want IP addresses you can
connect to the Internet with, then there are no "free" ones. You'll have
to get officially registered addresses from your ISP or from the
InterNIC. If you want addresses to use on a private network that does not
connect to the internet, there are addresses set forth in RFC1597 for
that purpose. Those are:

The 256 class C addresses 192.168.0.x - 192.168.255.x
The 16 class B addresses 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x
The class A address 10.x.x.x

(you can retrieve the document from http://www.internic.net/rfc/rfc1597.txt).

Those addresses are not used on the Internet, so if you use them on an
internal network connected through a firewall that does address
translation you'll have no real problems.

Hope that helps,
Nadav