Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:52:57 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Alokat <mailing@alokat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound with FN Button

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:28:05 +0100, Alokat <mailing@alokat.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I use the FN Buttons to regular the sound?
> I'm using fluxbox.

Use the "xev" program to check which keysymbols (or at
least codes) are output by those keys. For example, on
my Sun keyboard I have those for audio:

	141
	142
	143

Then write a file ~/.xmodmaprc to assign names to those
keys, for example:

	! Sound off
	keycode 141 = F24
	! Lower volume
	keycode 142 = F25
	! Raise volume
	keycode 143 = F26

You can also use

	SunAudioMute
	SunAudioLowerVolume
	SunAudioRaiseVolume

or

	XF86AudioMute
	XF86AudioLowerVolume
	XF86AudioRaiseVolume

I decided to continue the enumeration as function keys for
all the extra keys on my keyboard. :-)

Incorporate the settings upon X startup, using ~/.xinitrc
or maybe ~/.xsession:

	xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc

Then use the keyboard action configuration of Fluxbox. As I
don't use it anymore, I can't tell you where it is, but there
should be a configuration file which selects which action to
be taken when a specific key is pressed.

I'm using WindowMaker's configuration utility for that. I did
add menu entries and set a custom key for them. For example,
I made the following settings:

	F24 -> mixer 0
	F25 -> mixer vol -5
	F26 -> mixer vol +5

You should be able to find a similar approach in FLuxbox.

I'm sure you got the idea: You identify what the keys DO and
then connect them to a keyname. This keyname is then connected
to a specific program call, "mixer" with the intended parameters
in case of volume control.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany