Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:54:34 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Scott Pilz <tech@ipad5.tznet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail Server & Adduser

Scott Pilz wrote:

> We are looking to run Sendmail for SMTP and QPopper for POP3, on a new
> mail server that we will be switching to. Firstly, is this a good setup,
> or is there a better one available (say for 10k+ users).

You might have a better time with qmail and the virtual domain system
you can add to it. (see below)

> Would a Pentium III-600MHz, 512M/SDRam w/ Ultra-Wide SCSI Drives be
> efficent for this service?

Hell, a 486-66 with Ultra-Slow drives would be find for 5 Million users
- if they don't send much mail. More important is going to be how much
mail do these folks really send around??

> We have a file of 7-8k users and passwords (format is somewhat of 'user
> pass   more info   more info   etc', however it's one user & password per
> line, easily transforable to a script). We need a way to add a user in a
> single command line. Adduser dosen't cut it and  pw does add a user ina
> single command line, but dosen't include the password.

I did this when we switched from Exchange Server to qmail (God was that
a worthwhile thing to do!) Just exported the Exchange user database into
a comma-delimited file and wrote a perl script to use that file to add
all the users. (and I don't even know perl)
The virtual domain setup for qmail has a single command, vadduser, that
allows you to add a user in 1 step, very nice!

-Bill