Date:      Fri, 12 May 95 12:05:23 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        seki@sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Questions/comments on ed driver

> > 2.  When put into 16 bit operation (isa16bit is on), if_ed.c turns the
> > interface in 16 bit mode just before data transfer, and then back in 8
> > bit mode everytime.  The comment says it makes DOS reboot process
> > happy, but, if so, why cannot the back-in-8-bit process be done only
> > in kdc_shutdown() hook?
>
> What happens if you panic while the system is running and the board is
> in 16 bit mode?  The system would fail to reboot :-(.
>
> The problem is that on some machines, if you leave the board in 16-bit
> mode, will hang during the BIOS boot.  I think the comment should be
> correted to say that, or both BIOS/DOS.
>
> This one is not a bug.

Maybe it should be a compile time option (defaulted "on" for the
kernels that are prebuilt) that if turned off would only do the switch
in the shutdown.  I don't know what the performance difference would
end up being.

The same argument about protecting for reboot *could* be used to
justify reinstating the A20 stuff prior to stuffing the keyboard
reset, since it would make some currently unhappy systems more
happy ( cv: "The Undocumented PC").

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---