Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 21:03:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        DukOnALake@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My system doesn't work.  What's wrong???

DukOnALake@aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
>        I have the FreeBSD Walnut Creek CD and have had no luck installing it.
> Perhaps it is not possible.  Following is a description of my system, could
> you tell me if it is possible without major reorganization?
>
> Intel 166MMX
> 64MB RAM
> HDD0=2.5GB IDE
> HDD1=6.5GB IDE
> CD-ROMs (2)
>
>        Okay, the first HDD has a primary DOS partition C:=2GB and an extended
> DOS partition D:=500MB.  The second HDD has three extended DOS partitions E:,
> F:, and G:  The CD-ROMS are H: and I: and a networked machine's drive is J:
> The primary DOS partition has 700MB free space, the total free space is 5GB.
> Anyway, I bought the second HDD so I could install FreeBSD, but have had no
> luck.  I tried putting a primary DOS partition on the second drive but it
> rearranged my drive letters, making D: into E: and calling the second primary
> D:  Well that hosed my day, so I went back to the original plan, only one
> primary.

Isn't DOS fun?

>        I RTFMmed on the cd/book/book.txt, pages 34-40 or so and stopped when
> it said something like:  it must be installed in the first 504 MB, repartition

Eh, this 504MB might not apply, actually. This is "worst case". IDE sucks,
but recent BIOS make up for it.

> using...  I said, "oops".  Should I bag it and get another machine to use for
> UNIX?  I have spent the better part of this year trying to understand and make
> Windoze 95 into something I can stomach, and I hate to screw it all up.
                                         ^--- that's quite a trick.

Hmm. Would you mind devoting the entire second drive to BSD?
It sounds like you haven't really tried to install BSD yet.
Once you get BSD installed, DOS won't ever see the BSD partition(s).
No need for another machine.

Email me, sending what DOS fdisk says about each disk drive.
It's time to try some experiments ;)

Dave
--
Sancho Panza: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most secure network
	operating system available.'