Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 22:18:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ether matching in ipfw??

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> In trying to clean up this bridging stuff, I just realized that
> ip_fw_chk() contains code for matching Ethernet headers and
> non IP packets!
>
> Does the "ip" in "ipfw" not mean anything to anyone??

The BRIDGE/IPFW patch I emailed out earlier removes this bogosity, and has
a switch statement where one might consider adding calls to other
filtering code.

That said, I think this all continues to point to a more generalized
structure for inserting filters into packet processing.  This again raised
the opportunity to plug the BSD/OS code that uses BPF to filter (and even
modify) packets, allowing it to behave quite flexibly.  You could imagine
ng_bpfw filters being inserted strategically in the netgraph module graph
and filtering as needed and appropriate.  I second Luigi's sentiment that
we avoid having too many brands of filtering independently implemented,
but suspect that means we need to look beyond ipfw in other ways also.

One advantage to a BPF-like approach would be that you could imagine a
BPF->native code compiler, instead of a BPF execution vm in kernel, giving
performance close to ipfw, if not better, when optimized.  These custom
filtering modules built from userland rulesets could also be inserted
into the graph as needed.

Would also be nice to see the BRIDGE functionality as a node sitting above
a set of ng_ether nodes.

  Robert N M Watson