Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:58:01 -0600
From:      "Duncan Patton a Campbell is Dhu" <freebsd@babayaga.neotext.ca>
To:        Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>, twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sniffer nic

Hmm.  I don't know anything about the cards mentioned here
or the application you are putting the sniffer to, but you
should
consider whether you need to look outside the usual sense
window for the card -- iff you are looking for network layer
virii
or other out-band transmissions.

Dhu

> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, twig les wrote:
>
> > Hey *, I need another nic (10/100 copper) for sniffing
> > and was wondering if anyone had input as to which one
> > kicks ass.  I'm planning on either an Intel Pro or
> > 3Com, not sure which model yet.  Anyone had something
> > so good that they want to recommend it?  The box is
> > 4.6 Release (fully patched) running Snort 1.8.7.
> > Hardware is dual P3-1GHz, 2gig ram, scsi blah blah
> > blah, the only really interesting thing is that I have
> > an empty 64-bit, 66mhz PCI slot so I can use that for
> > a good nic if possible.
>
> I've had good luck with Intel 8255x NICs, ie
> EtherExpress Pro, both in card form and in laptops
> (built-in).  I could record a most saturated 100Mbit
> line on a P2-350 (using Ethereal and FreeBSD)
>
> --
> Matt Piechota

> the message

Duncan Patton a Campbell is Duihb