Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 17:08:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Sam <freep@thecity.sfsu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: "tape is now frozen"

I would appreciate knowing what the actual error messages were in your
/var/adm/messages.

It's just barely conceivable that reading from known end of recorded media
could be *assumed* to not really change tape position, but I'd rather be safe
than sorry.

Looking at your original email, I see you backed up, using the no-rewind
device. Then you tried to restore (without a rewind). Well, yes, the tape
driver won't know where you are because you ran past recorded media. The
problem here is really then with restore- you were expecting restore to rewind
and read from the first file. Cursory examination of the code shows that if
the dump number is one, it doesn't do this. Sounds like, woohoo, restore's got
another bug.

-matt