Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 10:33:37 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Ye' olde IDE drive problems...

I know this has come up before, and I'll freely admit - I looked on smugly
thinking... "SCSI... Good choice... ;-)"

But now I'm being made to pay...

I've just gotten hold of a Quantum Fireball SE4.3Gb IDE hard drive. I've added
into my system as the Primary Master, but in the bios I've got it set to 'Not
installed' (this is so the system will still boot off the SCSI drives on my
AHA2940)...

This works a treat, and FreeBSD proudly tells me:

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0xff80ff on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM FIREBALL SE4.3A>, 32-bit, multi-block-16
wd0: 4110MB (8418816 sectors), 14848 cyls, 9 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

I then label the disk, i.e.

"# /dev/wd0:
type: ESDI
disk: wd0s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 9
sectors/cylinder: 567
cylinders: 14848
sectors/unit: 8418816
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:  8418816        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 14847)
  e:  8418816        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 - 14847)"

And run a "newfs -b 8192 -f 1024

It starts to format the drive, and then I get:

"wd0: interrupt timeout
wd0: status 58 <rdy,seekdone,drq>
wd0: interrupt timeout
wd0: status 58 <rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1 <no_dam>"

I've tried fiddling with the flags in my kernel config (for wdc0), and I've
tried various geometries (including sticking a DOS partition on there, and
letting the partition editor use that geometry (as recomended in the FAQ's
etc.) - but I still can't get it to work...

If you leave the machine alone it slowly 'dies' so you have to reset, and fsck
all the partitions etc.

I've got an identical drive (brand new) - that behaves the same...

Annoyingly they both format and run OK under DOS / Windows etc. (but as usual
that don't mean much... )

I've tried searching the mailing archives, and found the predominant response
to be "Your drive is failing", or "It has bad blocks", or "It's a cabling
problem" - I've checked the cables (there nice and short as well), the drives
certainly aren't failing - and as for bad blocks... Hmmm... Scandisk etc.
don't return any errors and I've image-copied one drive to another without any
snags...

(IRQ 14 is also free on the machine... - and I've double checked this!)

If anyone has any info on this, and doesn't begrudge giving it to a once
dedicated, happy SCSI user...

Please let me know...

Regards,

Karl Pielorz