Date:      Sun, 03 Jan 1999 20:58:43 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /usr/local/bin [was: Re: executable scripts]

> As an aside from someone not new to Unix, I don't put commands in
> /usr/local on FreeBSD by hand - because /usr/ports builds into
> it. Instead, I put them in an install directory on a custom fs, and
> symlink the commands back to /usr/local/bin.

I'm just playing with an initial install of FreeBSD for the
first time and had noticed the way ports polluted /usr/local
which I have always considered to be *mine*.  I've noted that
BSDI use /usr/contrib for the sort of stuff that FreeBSD puts in
/usr/local, and that seems more sensible to me if there is
really a reason not to put these things in /usr/bin.

Anyway, my question is:  is there some way to have the ports put
into some other prefix than /usr/local so that it can be used as
expected?  Or do we have to reinvent /usr/local with some less
intuitive name?

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>