Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:42:04 -0700
From:      Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   recommended procedure to set ip address and gateway?

Support I configure a FreeBSD box for a customer, using IP address and
gateway on my LAN.  The customer will connect the machine on his own
LAN.  What is the recommended procedure for the customer to correctly
set the host name, IP address, and gateway?

When the customer puts the machine on his LAN and powers it up, we have
a chicken-and-egg situation.  The customer needs to see the login:
prompt, log in as root, and set the IP address etc.  But he might never
reach the login: prompt, because the boot procedure will keep waiting
for various network services and daemons (e.g., DNS, NIS, ntpdate, who
knows what else).  Some of these will hang for a long time because the
machine's IP address and gateway is not correctly set.

Booting the machine into single-user mode (with 'boot -s') leaves the
root disk mounted read-only, and I see that /usr is not mounted and 'vi'
is not available.  Working around this and editing /etc/rc.conf is
possible but too complicated to write down on a small slip of paper
to be stuck to the machine before delivering it to the customer.

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>