Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 07:21:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: where to put access restriction for scheduling classes

(Sorry that went out on -current.  Redirecting to -hackers)

> No shell should break as a result of defining a new resource limit.
> Therefore, you should update setusercontext(3) and the two system
> shells, and let the other shells fend for themselves.

Shells won't break, but you won't be able to set the new resource using "limit"
in unchanged shells.

I'll do as you suggest - add RLIMIT_SCHEDULER and change csh and sh to support
it.  Then specific users can be permitted to change their process scheduler.

I do have a related question - ptolemy for example uses 1003.4 process scheduling
semantics for some simulations to ensure things run the way they want them to.
I'd like per-process group scheduling so that one could ensure that a group
of processes preempt each other without potentially hogging the CPU.  This
would be good both for this sort of simulation and for development of realtime
systems.  It is "half threaded": the process group as a whole would be fairly
scheduled with other processes, but when it was readied the appropriate process
would run, Does anyone have suggestions for how to specify this and how to
implement this?  Source should not have to be changed, so again an inherited
per-process flag for real time flavor would be appropriate.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval