Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:58:16 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] RELNOTESng for 5-CURRENT

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 09:58:43AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> This problem (which I agree is valid) is not so much a problem as to=20
> where the release notes live, but the fact that one needs to actually=20
> build human-readable renderings of them.  If people can't be bothered=20
> to install the docproj port and the doc/ tree to get release notes=20
> living in src/, putting the release notes in doc/ sure isn't going to=20
> help.  It's trivial to put the release notes for -RELEASE versions up=20
> (the Web site does this already), and Dima thinks it's possible to do=20
> this for -CURRENT too (and -STABLE if and when it's applicable).

I think this, as a whole, is a non-problem.  It's trivial to script a
daily build of the release notes and mirror it to the FTP site (and/or
include it in the twice daily build of the web site).

> Putting the release notes in doc/ means that the src/ committers (who I=
=20
> just *barely* got now to make changes to the release notes) are going=20
> to have to chase through parts of the doc/ hierarchy.  I'm pretty sure=20
> I'm going to lose the few converts I've won if I let people talk me=20
> into this.

True, true.

> > Also, if we want to put these on the website then it means that anyone
> > doing so will need to have checked out www/, doc/, and src/release/
> > trees.
>=20
> I got the impression that this would not be hard.  They don't need to=20
> have all of src/ checked out, and if enough people complain about it, we=
=20
> can probably make another module which is just the RELNOTESng part of=20
> src/release.

I think that would be a definite requirement.  We could even make
release/ a top level directory, alongside src/, doc/, and ports/.

> > Could this come under doc/, and either have a CVS branch for RELENG_4
> > for just the release notes directory hierarchy, or I could start work on
> > the osrel{min,max,in} attribute support code again. . .
>=20
> Can it come under doc/?  Sure.  Do I think it's the right thing?  No.
>=20
> I don't like the idea of having one part of doc/ branched and another=20
> part not (especially when the part that's not branched lives higher in=20
> the directory hierarchy). =20

I don't either (just because I suggest something doesn't mean I always
think it's the best way).

At the end of the day, you're the guy doing the work. . .

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln--