Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:34:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      H.Paul Hammann <hpaul@hammann.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with current VMware port

   I'm trying to get VMware running on my laptop.  I'm running
4.x-STABLE as of last week, and I installed the latest VMware port.
I'm having a little trouble which I'm pretty sure is just me missing
something.

   The hostname, set in /etc/rc.conf is hpaullap.
/root/.vmware/license is a symlink to /home/hpaul/.vmware/license
which is a valid license I purchased from VMware.

   When I start VMware as root I get the following message box:

This computer doesn't have a valid host name
(gethostbyname() failed) yet it tries to lock
remote file /root/.vmware/preferences.
Cannot open VMware Workstation executable file.
Possibly an installation error?
Cannot open VMware Workstation executable file.
Possibly an installation error?
Cannot open VMware Workstation executable file.
Possibly an installation error?
Cannot open VMware Workstation executable file.
Possibly an installation error?
Module 10 initialization succeeded.

   When I hit the OK button it goes into the configuration wizard.  In
the configuration wizard I told it I want to run FreeBSD on an
existing physical disk.  I went through the rest of the setup wizard
without any obvious problems.  However, when I hit the Power On button
I get the following message box.

Could not open /usr/local/lib/vmware/lib/vmm (No such file or directory).

   When I hit OK, everything except the Power On button is greyed
out.  If I hit the Power On button I get the same message box.

   If anyone has a suggestion how I can get past this I would be most
appreciative.  If there's somewhere I can find documentation that
explains this that would be even better.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

H. Paul Hammann
hpaul@hammann.com