Date:      25 Feb 1998 10:46:14 -0600
From:      Dave Marquardt <marquard@zilker.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Token Ring for FreeBSD yet?

Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com> writes:
> marquard@zilker.net said:
> :- I sure wish someone would tell IBM!  :-)  IBM (and perhaps some
> :- others--I don't quite recall) are now talking about 100 Mb/sec Token
> :- Ring.
>
> While everyone else is *making* Gigabit Ethernets.

Including IBM.

I work for IBM, so I can speak to this a little.  IBM has all of these
large corporate customers (including IBM itself) that have a big
investment in Token Ring.  If they can keep these people happy by
creating 100 Mb/sec. token ring on the same wiring, they'll make some
money.  That's what's driving IBM.

Anyway, if you don't like Token Ring, don't buy it.

-Dave