Date:      Tue, 5 May 2009 20:59:51 +0000
From:      Rick N <solarux@hotmail.com>
To:        <jcw@highperformance.net>, <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: End of Life is Meaningless

 You already know your answer:

 Every one of our SunE10K's=2C E6500's=2C and i think now our E4900's are E=
OL=2C according to Sun :)=2C but we keep them running ship-shape(updates et=
 all) and they have paid for themselves over n over again.=20

However=2C we have a (mirrored) Development department that tests these thi=
ngs (as carefully as we can)=2C before major upgrades/OS updates.

 I hear ya=2C Murphy's Law=2C but also and even more so these days=2C If yo=
ur Pruduction dept. is that important then so should  your Development dept=
. be -without which Production will not absorb future changes reliably.

 All this depends on what you're using your present servers for?. Ours were=
 heavily transaction/oracle based=2C along with our FreeBSD apache web serv=
er farms'... so I'm sorry if this doesn't giude/or match you much.

=20

 For example=2C we still "only" use our OpenBSD vpn/firewall server=2C its =
now 6 years old and other than 6 reboots (2 due to 2 elect.outages) it simp=
ly worked fine=2C our network admin finally upgraded it=2C and performance-=
wise its much better. Yes=2C this was situational=2C but it worked like a c=
harm. This was after we used a $600 (used) Dell-x86-arch system to test it =
prior (at 4:00AM u know what I mean). There were of course=2C a couple prob=
lems unfortunately to our customers' chagrin=2C but we didn't lose those cu=
tomers and the benefits now were well worth it.

=20

 But yes=2C I aggree with you=2C EOL means nuthin' (why?=2C just beacuse so=
me manufacturer' wants you to spend more money?)-however=2C "support" means=
 everything (be it HW/SW) that we all know.

 It's oviously a sutuational (money-dependent) judgement call.=20

 You can wait 'till you "need" to change/upgrade/update which may be a very=
 fatal gamble?=2C OR=2C

You test it before. I'd rather have some kind of dev/testing than the alter=
native. -be it whatever?

=20

cheers.

=20