Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 12:27:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Keith Beattie[SFSU Student]" <beattie@george.lbl.gov>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Qs: XFree86, BootEasy & Virt Terms

Doug White wrote:

> > How do I get BootEasy (or any bootmanager for that matter) to boot
> > DOS from my 2nd IDE disk?  My 1st IDE drive is all FreeBSD, 2nd is
> > all DOS.  Bootting from a DOS floppy works fine.  From the booteasy
> > menu: F5 ... DOS gives a never ending list of 040404040404...
>
> This usually means the geometry is wrong on the FreeBSD disk.  This means
> that you'll have to reinstall to remedy.  Or, use a different boot manager
> (such as OS-BS which is on the CD).

This seems likely.  When I last reformatted/relabled/installed, my BIOS didn't
have the correct geometry for that disk.  Is it possible to tar-ball up the
whole disk (I have room to store it on the 1G disk under /usr), fix the disk
the correct geometry and untar it back?  (OS-BS didn't seem to want to work
for me.)

I'm not sure of the exact procedure to do this.  My guess is that since the
disk has 3 slices on it (one of them is swap) I'd need to tar up / as one
archive and /var as another.  Then what program do I use to reformat the disk
or is it relable?

Thanks,
Keith

--
// Keith Beattie                  Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (LBL) \\
// SFSU Grad Student   Imaging and Distributed Computing Group (ITG) \\