Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:09:16 +0600
From:      Mojahedul Hoque Abul Hasanat <mojahed@citechco.net>
To:        "Brian K . Walters" <bkwalters@lucent.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 16-Bit PnP Crystal 3D Cs4237B

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 01:07:57PM +0000, Brian K . Walters wrote:
> I am editing the kernel to add support sound.  I have a 16-Bit PnP Crystal 3D
> CS4237B audio controller.  I am a bit confused by the lines necessary to add
> sound.

I have a CS4236 and it works pretty fine.

> Are the following lines correct?
>
> device snd
> device css0 at isa ? port 0x534 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x08
> device pcm

Keep only the pcm line, remove the others.  Here is my line:

device pcm0     at isa? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x13

Because it is a PnP card, you either need to tell your BIOS that
you do NOT have PnP OS so the BIOS will initialize the card
itself, or you have to use the kernel boot parameters to
initialize the card.  I have these two lines in my
/boot/kernel.conf (in addition to other parameters)

pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x534 port1 0x388 port2 0x220 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 3
pnp 1 3 os enable port0 0x330 irq0 9

For more info on PnP, see man pnp and man pnpinfo.

Oh! CS4236 hangs the machine if the BIOS initializes it, this is
a known bug of the chip.  I hope CS4237B doesn't have this
"feature".

--
Mojahed