Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 05:15:31 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies - "Handle me with care?"

This has nothing to do with you or me, and I'm sorry if you took it that
way... I'm asking for a group opinion on two different PHILOSOPHIES, not
two different people.  It just so happens that our philosophies differ, and
I'd like to know what the general consensus is regarding those philosophies
- should newbies be careful, or should newbies experiment?

I'm open to discussion, and closed to creating opponents.  I don't want a
fight with anyone, I want an on-topic discussion on how newbies should
approach FreeBSD.  Should they be cautious and not try new things for fear
of messing up something, or should they go all out in playing around with
their system?  Perhaps the answer lies somewhere between the two.  IMO, you
and I lie on two different ends of a spectrum, from what I've gathered in
your Emails and posts to this group.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned your name and just brought up the
philosophies themselves, but it seemed a good starting point, since it's
pretty clear you feel newbies should be cautious, and pretty clear I feel
differently.

***PLEASE***, nobody consider this a choice between two people.  Everyone
has a right to their opinion, and neither my philosophy nor Sue's is
"right" or "wrong."  I'm just curious what others opinions on them are.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.