Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:32:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark Blackman <tmb@rcru.rl.ac.uk>
Subject:   Re: SMP success on W6-LI

On 24-Feb-98 Mike Smith wrote:
>> This is another problem than what I was thinking about.  I was thinking
>> about where the BIOS declares (silently) the MBR to be R/O, and only
>> boots
>> Win95, unless you zap the MBR.
>
> Fortunately, the BIOS has no say in the matter while FreeBSD is running.

Me and my futile attempts to be brief;

We had a case where installing FreeBSD on a machine would succeed perfectly
well except that upon re-boot, the MBR would still try to boot Win95, find
FreeBSD instead and barf.

The short version of it is that there is some protection in the BIOS
against trying to install non-M$ operating system in the machine.  This was
confirmed by the vendor's support and empirically by swapping drives, or LL
format, both which succeed in confusing the check;  Turns out there is some
signature in the MBR that the BIOS records when first encountering the
disk.  The excuse is virus protection, but the reality is that even with
``Virus Protection''' OFF, the feature is still alive.

I hesitate to quote names here as this is a major little-i partner and I do
not have the proof in my hand anymore.