Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:28:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installation completeness??

> > During the install.  The window says "Attempting to install all selected
> > distributions"
>
> And....?
>
> Take a look at the debug console (ALT-F2).  Note anything that looks
> suspicious.

Nope.  Looked normal to me.  Just stopped after finished unpacking something.

> > I copied kernel.GENERIC to kernel and it booted lemme look around for a sec
> > (I have done nothing to it...)
>
> Well, no, there's probably a filesystem but that's it.

yea that was all.  It got FDISKed.

> > well...nothing is in usr/local so it didn't complete the install before
> > dying.  Jordan wrote back and thought he might have broke something
> > but I have heard nothing since.  I don't know if he could duplicate it.
> > I used a FTP install from ftp5.
>
> You might try ftp'ing from ftp.freebsd.org instead.  The mirrors take a
> while to echo out the files, and ftp5 may just be behind.

Too busy from where I am.  I get about 0.1 - 0.5 k/s from there.  :(

> > > This generally indicates faulty memory or processor cache, or can be
> > > related to a software problem.
> >
> > 2.2-1014SNAP worked for weeks just fine.  No problems.
>
> Were you installing OVER 2.2-SNAP?  What version were you installing?

Nope.  I FDISKed and started new.  I even formated with DOS and killed
it as well.  :)

> At this stage, perhaps.  I don't know how much damage there is to the
> filesystems.  If there was something there, it probably isn't there
> anymore.  If you do reinstall, use DOS FDISK and delete the FreeBSD slice
> and install from scratch.

Done...

Thanks for the help.  I got a good install from ftp3.