Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:47:35 -0500
From:      Max Shron <generic@vh.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   USB SM

    I recently acquired a SanDisk SDDR-55 Smart Media reader. The
SanDisk SDDR-31, reading CompactFlash, is obviously supported (I've been
trying to learn the usb code for a week now). Backlogs on the stable
list say that the SDDR-31 is supported because SanDisk actually
contacted the linux USB team... however, a quick perusal of the SanDisk
site says that the SDDR-55 is not umass compatible, although it works in
OS X. So, seeing as the SanDisk SDDR-55 is not supported by umass, would
it need its own driver or am I going to have more luck getting a  smart
media reader that uses ATA (and, thus, is the umass compatible), unless
none exist?

So I guess the question is, does SmartMedia preclude umass?

If not, I'd be willing to put the time in to see getting a SmartMedia
card driver for bsd to come to fruition, unless someone more qualified
wants to take on the task.

-Max Shron