Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 18:09:10 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@portaone.com>
To:        "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org, portmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USE_GETOPT patch available

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

> Lately Maxim Sobolev told:
>
> > I think that you had overcomplicated things a bit, with all those
> > automagick. Something like the following would be more than enough:
>
> [code sets GNUGETOPT_{CFLAGS,LIBS}]
>
> but how does configure/make get these?
>
> ${SETENV} can't accumulate variables (like env CFLAGS=foo CFLAGS=bar)
>
> okay, one simple fix could be just adding LDFLAGS to the environment of
> configure (not CONFIGURE_ENV) and then preventing ports to set
> CFLAGS/LDFLAGS. does that seem reasonable?

foo/Makefile:

USE_GNUGETOPT=yes
CONFIGURE_ENV=CPPFLAGS="${GNUGETOPT_CFLAGS} -ISOME -DOTHER -FLAGS"
LIBS="${GNUGETOPT_LIBS}"

The reason why I think that automatic addition into CONFIGURE_ENV is
Bad Thing[tm] is because user might have other options in
CPPFLAGS/LIBS, in that case your patch will wanish them.

-Maxim