Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:20:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Getting ACPI to work on -stable

Ok, here are the instructions on getting ACPI going on 4-stable for
those of you who are foolish^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hbrave:

- First, check out a -stable kernel source tree.
- Second, check out current versions of the following parts of the
  kernel source tree (cvs co -r1 will do this):
  - src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica
  - src/sys/dev/acpica
  - src/sys/i386/acpica
  - src/sys/i386/include/acpica_machdep.h
  - src/sys/i386/isa/pmtimer.c
  - src/sys/kern/subr_power.c
  - src/sys/sys/power.h
- Third, download and apply the patch at
  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/~patches/acpi_4x.patch.
- Fourth, add 'device acpica' and 'device pmtimer' to a kernel
  config and compile a new kernel.

Things known to work:
- soft power-off with power button
- ACPI timecounter
- acpi tools in src/usr.sbin/acpi will compile ok on stable w/o
  modification if you perform enough magic to get it work,
  mostly consists of putting the checked out tree in the right
  place relative to a kernel source tree with the ACPI stuff in
  it and copying src/sys/i386/include/acpica_machdep.h to
  /usr/include/machine before building.  You will also need to
  create a /dev/acpi device.  ACPI's major number is 192, so you
  can hack MAKEDEV to add an entry for acpi identical to the apm
  entry except to s/apm/acpi/ and use 192 for the major.

Thinks that might work:
- suspend/resume?  (doesn't do actually suspend on my one test machine
  here, but I'm not sure this motherboard really wants to suspend)
- CPU throttling (haven't tested it)
- I haven't tested the updated apm(4) code (it does compile) which
  is bascially a MFC so that it will work with subr_power.c and
  pmtimer(4).
- ???

Things that definitely won't work:
- PCI interrupt routing, using ACPI to enumerate host-PCI bridges
  It's not turned on so PCI still works, the system just isn't able
  to make use of ACPI when configuring PCI devices.

I would like to MFC more of the stuff in acpi_4x.patch prior to 4.8.
If people could test apm with these patches (don't put acpica in
your kernel to use apm, but do put pmtimer in) I would appreciate it.

Enjoy.