Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 23:18:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        james@miller.cs.uwm.edu (Jim Lowe)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NCR disk controller, hp disk

> I have an NCR 825 PCI disk controller.  I just attached a second disk
> to the controller and am trying to access it.  The second disk works
> just fine under dos, but not freebsd-current.  I am getting the following
> errors:
>
> sd1(ncr0:1:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted
> , retries:4
> sd1(ncr0:1:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted
> , retries:3
> sd1(ncr0:1:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted
> , retries:2
> sd1(ncr0:1:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted
> , retries:1
> sd1(ncr0:1:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted
> , FAILURE
> sd1: error reading primary partition table reading fsbn 0 (sd1 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 s
> n 0)
>
> Any clues as to what to try/do next?  The boot up information follows.
> I am not sure why I am getting the probe0(ncr0:9:0) errors either.
> Termination?

It seems that the HP C37xx series of SCSI disks are being tickled by the
NCR scsi code in FreeBSD.  I can duplicate your problem here using the
model C3725 and either an NCR 53C810 or NCR 53C825.  I suggest you
switch to an aha2940, but you will probably have to backup/restore the
entire system to do this due to geometry translation differences.

We really need a SCSI expect to go rewrite the firmware for the NCR cards,
what we have today has so many incompatibility problems it is getting hard
to spec systes using it :-(.

> Thanks for any help,

Sorry, not much real help :-(.  Stephan Esser may have a list of things
you can turn off in the NCR code that gets it working...