Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 01:02:12 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        vallo@matti.ee
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the fs fun never stops

> Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu> wrote:
>
> > I see people constantly show panic messages like this but rarely do I
> > see someone take the time to match up the instruction pointer with a
> > function in the kernel symbol table.
> >
> > The best way to track down the cause of a panic is by capturing a crash
> > dump, then using gdb to to a stack trace on the crash dump. Of course,
> > this depends on gdb in -current working correctly, which I can't
> > guarantee (I recall somebody saying that the new ELF-ized gdb didn't
> > handle kernel crash dumps correctly: somebody should check this before
> > 3.0 goes out of beta or there'll be a lot of red faces after the CDs
> > ship).
> >
> > In any case, the method I nornally use is this:
>
> ***
>
> Perhaps all this nice posting should go into FAQ with somewhat modified form ?
> I can say that all replys I got from Bill are almost anytime very helpful and
> I learned a lot of things recently by this way. Can anybody pick it up and
> convert into FAQ, please ?
> Thanks Bill.

How about you take it and write the FAQ entry?  Don't worry about your
formatting, spelling, grammar or whatever.  Then submit it as a PR.

It's much easier to reformat and tidy up something that's already been
written than it is to write it from scratch.  Note that you'll want to
make sure that what you write fits in with the 'kernel debugging'
section of the FAQ.

Thanks,