Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:49:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        paul@originative.co.uk
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: c99/c++ localised variable definition

> So, are we going to start allowing this feature to be used in FreeBSD
> since it would require a pretty major change to style(9).

People differ as to the efficacy of such usage.  Either they love it
and can't understand why people wouldn't want to see definitions close
to where they are used.  Or they hate it and can't understand why
you'd want to go searching for a definition when the one, true,
god-given place is at the top of the function.  Often times, no
further discourse is possible because both sides know they are right,
and the other side is a bunch of butt picking monekys that clearly
should get out of the stone age...

> I noticed when trying to use this feature that we're not running
> the compiler with c99 fully supported yet so I guess that's perhaps
> the first step to discuss.

That's a reasonable thing to try to do, but it also opens up a number
of side issues.  We have already seen a taste of this in the WARNS=x
efforts where people make it warns friendly to c99, only to discover
that the system default is c89 and the fixes cause warnings/errors.

Warner