Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:02:49 EST
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml.ventu@flashnet.it>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw: count=pass?

Hello!
I've tried to block users from surfing the web, once they have moved a certain amount of traffic per week.
I put a series of "count" rules in ipfw and let cron call a script every 5 minutes to read the associeted byte counter
and possibly insert "deny" rules *after* the count rules.
The problem is that the traffic still goes through: the counters of the deny rules are all 0, as though they
were never reached.
ipfw's manual page states that after a count the packet goes ahead in the rule chain as if nothing has happened, but at
this points I'm beginning to wonder wether this is true or wether the count rules also allow traffic through as if they
were "pass".
This on FreeBSD 4.7-p3.

 bye & Thanks
        av.