Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 2014 19:42:43 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from 10.1-RC3 to 10.1-RELEASE using freebsd-update

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 11:41:03 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
[..]
 > You're using the wrong command to freebsd-update.
 > # freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.1-RELEASE
 >
 > "fetch" is appropriate to updating for patches to the release you are
 > currently running.
 >
 > Since you installed from a USB distribution, there is no rollback. The
 > rollback data is created by freebsd-update.
 >
 > Also, I suspect you entered the data above from memory as freebsd-upgrade
 > is not a command in base freebsd.

Personally I find usage of the terms 'update' and 'upgrade' bound to
lead to problems; they are not far enough from synonymous in common
English usage.  C.O.D. has it thus: update v.t. Bring up to date.
upgrade v.t. Raise in rank etc.

freebsd-update(8) is reasonably clear about what upgrade means, but I'm
still finding usage of these terms in pkg-update(8) and pkg-upgrade(8)
regularly confusing especially as searching either for 'update|upgrade'
shows plenty of hits for both.

Perhaps less of an issue for non-native English speakers/authors?

cheers, Ian