Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:58:40 +0100
From:      "Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to slow down SATA to 1.5 GBit/s ?

Hi,

Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> I'm using ahci with two ATA/IDE DVD drives and they work as long as I
> have "device ata" in my kernel config.  That's all I need.

So i will probably need that for the IDE DVD-ROM
drive that is built in too.

Juergen Lock wrote:
> thanks for trying to help improving libburn! :)

Well, i am its active developer since a while.
Any problems with it are probably my fault.

Nevertheless, its FreeBSD SCSI transport is not
originally by me. So i lack specific knowledge.
(There are two alternative transport adapters:
sg-freebsd originally by Alexander Nedotsukov,
sg-libcdio for upcomming libcdio-0.83 .)

I will test.
This was BD-R, not BD-RE, i assume ?

A leadout track. Sounds very CD-ish.
With DVD and BD one should rather go for READ
DISC INFORMATION and READ TRACK INFORMATION.

> Well if you didn't create a swap partition during install then you
> don't have one. :)

Not to have one seems to be an advantage now.
I don't remember to have been asked. But with
4 GB of RAM i might simply have answered 'no'.

> the saved state of a panic'd kernel,

I assume for reporting my kernel panics i have to
install a development kernel ?
(Switching off-and-on a stuck USB drive is
 obviously not a healthy thing to do.)

Well, i plan to install another FreeBSD from
scratch to try reproducing drive concurrency
problems which i experienced first and which
vanished after installing the ports of xfburn
and xorriso.
First drives got stuck when disturbed while
burning CD. Now the offender gets blocked until
the vulnerable drive state ends.
Those ports triggered a cascade of other ports.
So i have no idea which one might have tweaked
the configuration (or whathever happened).

> Btw there also is siis(4) [...] for
> SiliconImage sata controllers.
> [...] sas controllers

If somebody has such hardware then i would be
interested to hear whether it works with libburn.
Anybody is invited to ask for support.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas