Date:      Sun, 06 Jan 2002 02:05:07 +0900
From:      Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        phantom@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: several locale renames were MFCed

phantom> I've just MFCed following several locale renames

Sigh.  Japanese locale name, ja_JP.eucJP, and tcsh problem is *not
yet* solved.  Release engineers, why you allow to do that?  I cannot
believe that this change is MFCed; ache, the man who changed the
locale name in 5-current, what do you think about this MFC?

Tcsh have a feature that it does set 'dspmbyte' variable
if and only if locale name is "ja_JP.EUC" (string match is performed)
or other Chinese, Japanese, and Korean locales.

Now the locale name was changed; we've miss the feature.

Of course, 5-current tcsh is broken also.  A patch to fix this problem
was already submitted to the tcsh author IIRC, but it works only for
5-current.  Maybe new patch will be submitted to the author ASAP, but...

Phantom, would you please:

1a) check if tcsh repository was modified to fix this problem,
1b) make a request to the tcsh author to incorporate that fix if not yet,
2) import a fixed tcsh source to FreeBSD repository,
3) and send a HEADSUP to current@FreeBSD.org and stable@FreeBSD.org
   about all tcsh-and-locale problems are gone away.

phantom> In case if you'll experience any problems in locale specific
phantom> areas please notice me immidiately.

Immidiately enough? :-)

phantom> PS: for most of old locale names compatibility shims are
phantom> present, except DIS_* -> ISO*-15. So, be adviced and switch
phantom> to ISO8859-15 if you've used DIS_* before.

All shims does nothing to this problem, since tcsh compares current
LANG variable string and 'ja_JP.EUC' string, yes, just a string match.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' Matsushita