Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:30:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      User Wblock <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Li <fender0107401@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Erratra report for <a project model for the freebsd project>

Sorry about the late reply on this, but I did want to go through and
compare notes.  I'm not anybody official, just interested.  Comments
below.

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Li wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> As a freebsd user and big fan, I always try to do something to improve or help our system.
>
> Recently, I printed this doc: <a project model for the freebsd project> pdf_version, I read it several times , and I found something maybe not correct totally, so I wrote them below, I think someone will correct them.
>
> Note: the page number is according to the pdf version.
>
> Report format: page number | wrong | right
>
> vi | .1 | 1. (this is for notes)

You mean put the superscript "1" before the end-of-sentence period?
That's a style judgement call; doing it that way would have the period
hanging out alone at the end of the line, somewhat visually ugly.

Additionally, putting the reference to the footnote after the period
implies that the footnote refers to the whole sentence, not just the
word preceding the footnote superscript.

> vi | Marleen Devos's email is ? | ?

Possibly intentional left blank.  Does not seem to be a serious
omission.

> 1 | the communications overhead | the communication's overhead

Usage is correct, at least in American English.  It's not a possessive;
read it as "communications-overhead" if it helps.

> 3 | estimated 5500 contributors on the project, but in figure 3-1 and 3-2 the number is -3000 | ?

The symbol before the 3000 is a tilde, used to mean "approximately".  If
you are reading it in some language other than English, a font problem
might cause that character to render improperly.

> 4 | 12600 ports.1 | 12600 ports1. (this is for notes)
> 6 | 4.4BSD.3 | 4.4BSD3. (this is for notes)
> 7 | updates.5 | updates5. (this is for notes)

See footnote comments above.

> 10 5.1.2 | should be made | should be made.

Agreed, the ending period is missing.

> 10 5.1.4 | This involves involves | This involves

Agreed, there's an extra "involves" in that sentence.

> 11 | box betten "Core Secretary" and "GNATS Administrator" is blank | ?

Possibly just missing information.

> 13 5.2.6| The resposibilities of the Release Engineering Team are | add ":" in the end, and following sentences need "." too.

Whether to have the colon and periods is a stylistic judgement call.
Agreed that they're not all consistent.

> 21 | The code is than committed and the deployed | The code is than committed and deployed

Agreed, there's an extra "the" in that sentence.

> Others: all figures in this doc is not well, fonts always small, seems well if you see the html version.

The diagrams are low-res bitmaps, so they look fine for HTML but aren't
great for PDF.  It's possible to use bitmaps for HTML and PS/EPS/PDF
diagrams for PDF, but it's a hassle.