Date:      Tue, 03 Aug 1999 07:16:57 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Bill Hussey <vfrboy@home.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't build kernel (was: Yo Quiero vnode_if.h)

Mark Ovens wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 03:49:35PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > On Tuesday,  3 August 1999 at  1:59:45 -0400, Bill Hussey wrote:
> >
> > > and as I read it in the book, there is no way to format an IDE drive
> > > except, as the book puts it, to format it with the BIOS.  What does
> > > this mean?
> >
> > When you boot up some machines, the BIOS setup screens include a hard
> > disk format utility.  You can use this to format (in Microsoft terms:
> > low-level format) an IDE disk.  I'm pretty sure that's not necessary.
> >

> and totally pointless. AFAIK, (modern) IDE drives can only be
> "low-level" formatted by the manufacturer. Using a BIOS format
> utility will only succeed in trashing the servo info on the disk
> thereby rendering the disk useless. Most (all?) IDE drives protect
> themselves against these BIOS programs by simply sending back an
> "OK" message, but without actually doing anything.

Very true. I do not have an active system with a BIOS that will LLF an
IDE drive. None of my Pentium's will but my last 486 system's BIOS
would do a LLF. Drives have changed since then. However, you don't
have to send the drive to the Manufacturer to get a low level format.
They all have tools for THEIR drives. Some will even tell you when you
need to obtain an RMA and return the drive for service. You only low
level format when the drive has been handled very badly. This usually
means a power hit in the process of writing to the disk. Your drive
may have a defect, which will grow with continued use. You have to go
to the web site for the manufacturer and look around for the
appropriate tool. They usually talk about writing zero's into all of
the sectors. Everyone knows a sector has data in it besides zeros but
this is how the manufacturers describe their product to the public.
These programs are written for DOS and you need a DOS boot floppy
around. When you finish writing "zeroes", you have to high level
format the drive again and that depends on the OS. I have a couple of
Western Digital drives that really require a DOS MBR and I use a
Windows 98 startup disk to do a "fdisk /mbr".

Sometimes the hardest part of doing a LLF is finding the tool. I used
to start looking for a manufacturer at Andy's HW list in Italy but it
has disappeared and now I start at Andrew's web site
http://home.chez.com/andrew/hardware.htm or Dick Perron's MFG Web
index at http://www.gw.total-web.net/~dperr/links/mfgindex.htm. These
people maintain manufacturer indexes to their current WWW addresses.
The names used on the web may be obvious but sometimes that is only
after you have found them for the first time :-). I have these url's
in the bookmarks of the web browser's that I use.

Maxtor has a series of tools to do IDE HD maintenance. For example,
Maxtor has a program called MaxDiag, which does a number of things
including LLF a Maxtor HD. They have a technote at
http://www.maxtor.com/technology/technotes/tn-9811-002.html

Western Digital has a set of tools called Data Lifeguard tools. There
tools can be read about at
http://www.wdc.com/service/ftp/drives.html#dlgtools

IBM has a tool called Wipe that low level formats their drives. It can
be read about at
http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/welcome.htm They also have
a tool called Zap that will zap the start of a disk, which includes
the MBR. This must have been in response to a couple of nasty viruses.

The list goes on, and on ...

Kent

> --
>       FreeBSD - The Power To Serve http://www.freebsd.org