Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2007 01:27:22 +0100
From:      Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Martin <list@manuelmartini.it>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD mysql Benchmark  on 4BSD/ULE scheduler and i386/amd64

On Mar 13, 2007, at 22:45, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>> I used sql-bench
>> /usr/ports/databases/mysql50-server/work/mysql-5.0.33/sql-bench/
>> (at this time)
>> the default Makefile of port have "--without-bench" options  so u
>> need
>> to make manually
>
> Hmm.  This seems to be a single-user test, so while it's presumably
> testing some relevant basic ingredients of database performance it's
> probably not a realistic measure of server performance.  i.e. if you
> really only have a maximum of one client accessing your database then
> your 4-core system is being more than 75% wasted :)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

This being mysql, the number of processors isn't going to matter
much, no matter how many connections you have. Mysql doesn't scale
very well to multiple cpu's.

I've had my doubts about this "benchmark" from the beginning of this
thread, I don't see the point of benchmarks using mysql - especially
if it's not even clear whether myIsam or Innodb was used. If this
benchmark means anything, I'm sure there are benchmarks that better
suit the purpose (with the exception of benchmarking mysql
performance for a single connection). What are we actually trying to
benchmark here?

In my experience mysql as a database accepts invalid data, doesn't
comply to the SQL standards much and isn't very fast at real-life
database queries - among other things.
It doesn't compare[1] to a tuned PostgreSQL database, which I think
is a considerably more interesting benchmark. And of course that
would include multiple simultaneous connections.

Not to say that PostgreSQL is the ultimate benchmark instead of
mysql, just a better one. Of course they both have their uses, but
IMO mysql is loosing terrain fast.

[1] I really mean it doesn't compare. PostgreSQL provides more (and
IMHO better) features, and can be faster under the right
circumstances (usually complex queries or concurrent writes). It also
scales almost linearly to the number of cpu's, provided there are
enough simultaneous connections.
--
Alban Hertroys

			Priest to alien: "We want to know, is there a higher being?".
			Alien: "Well, actually that's why we're here,
					we're sheer out of virgins".

!DSPAM:74,45f741509413780612645!