Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 16:28:16 -0500
From:      bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu (M. L. Dodson)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Any hope of recovering from this hard disk failure?

Hello all,
The following occurred after an orderly shutdown of a 2.1.5R system (P5-100,
16M, 256K Cache, Genuine Intel).  The system had been extensively stress
tested a week or so earlier (running a 60 MB bonnie benchmark in a loop for
96 hours), so I don't thing anything is wrong with the motherboard.  No big
deal, I can reinstall, but for my information, is there anything reasonable
that can be done to try to fix this problem without a reinstall?  This was
a test system for FreeBSD in our environment, so there is no backup (but this
is not a problem, a fix would just save me some typing.)

   |  (boot messages strictly normal)

swapon: /dev/wd0s1b: No such file or directory
Automatic Reboot in progress
/dev/rwd0a: clean 8846 free (230 frags, 1077 blocks, 1% fragmentation
/dev/wd0s1e: No such file or directory
Can't stat /dev/we0s1e
Automatic file system check failed... help!
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

Then the output from:

disklabel /dev/rwd0a

looks quite reasonable.

Thanks in advance!
Bud Dodson

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790