Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:57:37 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        "'support@junglenote.com'" <support@junglenote.com>, "'mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU'" <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@ethereal.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: dhcpd

Ok, I have to chime in on this one.  see below.

	I believe what is meant is that any active connections will just
stop responding when the IP address is changed from under them.  I can see
it now, I'm downloading the new service pack to my crappy WordPerfect 9, it
gets through 20MB of the 36MB patch, and *BOOM*, IP address changes and the
connection drops, forcing me back to square 1.

	That's an extreem example, what if someone's on ICQ, or playing an
online game, etc, etc..  This would end up alienating your 'good' customers
more than it would the 'bad' ones.  I know I would switch isp's in a
heartbeat (if this is an isp we're dealing with), unreliable service is
unacceptable when that service is being paid for, and from a customer's
point of view, this would be un-reliable service.

	On the same tolken, what kind of a lease time are we talking about?
2hrs, 12hrs, 24hrs?

> And as I mentioned earlier, from the clients point of view it's much
> easier just to
> apply for a static address.
> The other solution would be to deny access to all and punch holes in the
> fw for
> every client allowed. This works. I know. But the rules table for the
> firewall grows
> to monolithic proportions, understandably due to the myriad of available
> software
> applications.

	This has it's down sides as well.  You'd have to put SO many holes
in this firewall it'd be crazy.  My current internet connection is through a
local university, and they block ALL incomming connections except on port
113 (ident).   I can't tell you how much trouble this causes me.  ICQ
doesn't work right, I can't play most online games, simple things like a DCC
chat on IRC doesn't work, netmeeting doesn't work, the list goes on.

	I understand what you are trying to do, stop people from abusing the
system and putting up static servers on a dynamic connection.  Even the idea
of blocking well known ports would be undesirable because the people you
want to stop are, for the most part, smart enough to not use a standard
port.

	Personally I am against any solution that punishes the good users to
stop the few bad users.  I personally feel the best solution would be to
keep logs of connection time and bandwidth, and have something alert you to
problem users, people with long uptimes and alot of outgoing bandwidth.  But
then again, this is only my opinion.

> A second alternative which is similar to the above. And it's setting
> bandwidth
> rules for every ip in the scope. Which also works, but sets the problem
> out of
> focus.
> The most desireable solution from my point of view would be to deny
> regular
> ip datatypes (http-data etc) from the internet to the clients. e.g. to
> deny a request
> from the internet to access any ip resource on the client side. And from
> there
> punch holes to allow access to certain ips to be accessed from the
> internet.
> This I do not know how to do. If someone does please let me know.
>
> /D

	As I said earlier, this is more trouble than it's worth, there are a
good number of programs that use random/dynamic port numbers.  Granted some
can be restricted, such as ICQ and mIRC, but others cannot (netmeeting).
And again, let's say you open up ports 4000-5000 for ICQ users, what's to
stop your "bad" user from just putting a server on that port.

	Another viable option would be to do regular port scans on your
users, but anyone using a *NIX based system will easily be able to detect
and block those (unless you use a utility such as nmap, and use it's stealth
mode).  This is getting rather complicated tho.

	One last thing, since most of the original posting was chopped off,
I'm going on some assumptions.  I am assuming that this is in an ISP
situation where you have dialup users with dynamically assigned IP
addresses.  If this is in a corporate situation, then you can throw most of
what I said out the window.  In a corporate situation I'm all for the
restrictive firewall, I still thing changing the IP out from under them is a
bad idea.  We have applications in the company where I work, that run over
the network, if my IP were to change mid-stream that would greatly reduce my
productivity.

	-Chris