Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:27:56 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cable modem hookup

--==_Exmh_-1885151980P

If memory serves me right, "Dan Langille" wrote:
> On 10 Aug 98, at 15:17, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> > sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain=1
> > sysctl -w net.inet.udp.log_in_vain=1
>
> OH.  I'm new to sysctl.  I just looked at the man pages for inet and found
> no reference to the above MIB names.  Where should I be looking for
> details of what MIB names exist for a given application?

According to the sysctl(8) manpage, "sysctl -A" will give what you want.  But
I didn't know about the above until I read jkb's writeup.

[snip]

> My FreeBSD box acts only as a gateway and doesn't do ftp, telnet, rlogin,
> etc.  Given that, would ssh provie any benefit to me?

Hmmm.  If you don't have any need to do remote logins to the gateway, then no.
 For my particular situation, doing ssh to *and* from my @Home machine is
useful.

(You probably know this already, but just for completeness, disabling
rlogind/telnetd/ftpd won't have any effect on outgoing services from your
FreeBSD box to other machines.)

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1885151980P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNc+6O6jOOi0j7CY9AQFCkwP/Vo3CjZNcZBVD/B0rDcsDJpaIi2D+4pVi
sG2DUXMxdE3n6WPm+fr3p26HjFIVr00DXqgPACzX+W30qi1i1fmam1g2TnrpnAF6
xYWTr+UFyJarSY06b+l0rHTkRsQZtFqgC8otdE5P/QTiNGOAdZ2TfgQM2X8+dEhM
COJCiz/2Yak=
=04gs
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-1885151980P--