Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 08:21:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Wei Weng <wweng@stevens-tech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: change default shell for root

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Wei Weng wrote:

> Hi.
> I tried to change the default shell for root in passwd file and
> master.passed file to /usr/local/bin/bash. But when I exited even
> restarted , nothing has been changed. Could anyone tell me why this
> happened and how to solve it?
>
> ja ne

	DO NOT edit master.passwd unless you really, really need to.  Use
vipw instead.  vipw will rebuild the user database automagically for you
as well as check for accidental corruption of the passwd file.  The lack
of the DB rebuild is your problem.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,