Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:27:25 -0800
From:      "Mike Maltese" <mike@pcmedx.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        John Adams <jadams01@sprynet.com>
Subject:   Re: Starting MySQL

> I added MySQL with portupgrade today, but don't find mysqld anywhere
> on the machine. How do I start this silly thing?

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh

mysqld resides in /usr/local/libexec, which could be why you didn't find it.
That doesn't really matter because a wrapper is used to start it anyway
(/usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld).

When in doubt, take a look at pkg-plist for what gets installed where. Also,
shell scripts for starting/stopping processes can usually be found in the
file/ directory of the port.

Mike