Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 19:30:04 +0100 (BST)
From:      Neil Hoggarth <njh@kernighan.demon.co.uk>
To:        Matt Groener <root@groenquist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "profiling timer expired" on new kernel builds in 4.1-R and 4.1-S

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Matt Groener wrote:

> I have recently begun to receive "profiling timer expired" errors at boot
> time (specifically at /etc/rc initialization) on any new kernel I
> build.

Data point:

I've also seen this, with a 4-STABLE source tree cvsuped on 23rd August.
The affected machine is a AMD K6-2/333 based desktop system. I'd done a
binary upgrade from 3.4-RELEASE to 4.1-RELEASE and then cvsupped and
compiled STABLE. When things then went horribly wrong I assumed that I'd
messed something up during the upgrade, blew everything away, and went for
a fresh install of 4.1-RELEASE. I'm running this okay, with a GENERIC
kernel, and haven't had a chance to try building a custom kernel or sync
up to STABLE again yet.

I run 4-STABLE built from the *same* 23rd August source tree on a Sony
Vaio 505SN (with a 400MHz Mobile Pentium II) and I haven't seen a problem
there. Could the problem be something perculier to the K6? What sort of
hardware are you running, Matt?

Regards,

Neil Hoggarth.