Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 11:23:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Packages

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

: Reading all of the comments about SSH, UUCP, and packages, brings to
: mind what other operating systems do, namely RedHat, Solaris, and MVS,
: just to name three, which is that everything from the kernel down to
: the last utility is a package.  If, for example, if I would not need
: games or C or <put something you don't use here>, then I wouldn't
: install it.  We could even have a couple of kernel packages, for example
: a kernel without BPF and one with it.

This is a neat idea in theory; but I think it will lend itself
quickly to the pollution of the "system" directories (i.e. /bin,
/usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /var, /etc...), since obviously it
would be silly to break the base system up into packages and have
them maintained by a separate package system than the add-ons.  I
maintain RH systems and their "system"-level directories are an
absolute mess.  Of course, on the plus side, /usr/local is kept
100% clean and reserved for truly local packages. :-)

: Of course this could only be used by those who wish to maintain FreeBSD
: at a binary level, as those of us who use cvsup would have a
: complicated mess to deal with.  However make world could use a
: selected/installed package directory to only build and install the
: desired or previously installed packages.  Of course this would break
: any package version dependencies, so this would only work with -RELEASE.

Very true.  I think if any change is to be made for this, the best
way to do it is as follows:

1.  Break up the bin.?? distribution into subcategories.  Doesn't
even have to be as finely grained as a lot of systems out there
are; all it has to do is distinguish between major pieces of
functionality (gcc and UUCP to name a few).  bin is getting rather
large as it is.

2.  Make corresponding -DNO_WHATEVER hooks (for lack of a better
term) in buildworld.  i.e. -DNOGCC, -DNOUUCP, -DNOFOOBAR, etc.
(Perhaps this list of options could even be dumped into make.conf
by sysinstall.)

Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
Owner/Administrator, zigg.com
Chief Engineer, Nameless IRC Network