Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 03:33:32 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        charnier@lirmm.fr, terry@cs.weber.edu
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.7.0

>BTW.  A full rebuild of the 2.7.0 sources on SunOS 4.1.3 (as in their
>example in the INSTALL (did *not* result in a .weak complaint).

.weak is only used if ASM_WEAKEN_LABEL() is defined.  It is only defined
in i386/freebsd.h (although FreeBSD doesn't support it), i386/osfrose.h,
m88k/m88k.h, netbsd.h and svr4.h.  It is to support the __weak attribute
(which gives aliased symbols).  I think use of this attribute is
optional.  It can easily be implemented in an unportable way using
stabs.  libgcc2 uses it if it is available.

Bruce