Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 10:00:07 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Brian Naylor <bwv211mail@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP/DNS

Dear Brian,

Saturday, June 22, 2002, 2:31:59 AM, you wrote:

BN> I'm sorry, but this is already over my head.  I have been using fixed IP
BN> addresses and maintaining a /etc/hosts file on every machine.  So now I decided
BN> to get with the real world.  I installed /usr/ports/net/isc-dhcp3, and dhcp
BN> itself appears to be working - clients connect and evidently have IP addresses.
BN>  But how do I handle the DNS side of things?  I am a complete newbie to DNS - I
BN> just want to handle my simple local home network.

BN> So in sum: I now have a /etc/hosts file on every machine.  This obviously won't
BN> work with DHCP.  So how do I move to a more DNS-style solution?

BN> Thank you.

The handbook has a section describing how to set up a DNS server.

The manual dhcpd.conf discribes has a section that discribes how to
change this to a dynamic dns. (section DYNAMIC DNS UPDATES)

--
Best regards,
Alex

The FreeBSD handbook
www.freebsd.org/handbook

How to get best results from the FreeBSD- questions mailing list
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/index.html

Alternative:
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html