Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 2009 04:26:07 +0300
From:      Alexander Churanov <alexanderchuranov@gmail.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        Alexander Sack <pisymbol@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fresh devel/boost

2009/3/10 Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>:

> I agree with the "better" approach, but why wait for months until all deadlines
> are passed if we can create boost 1.38 port right now and then shuffle ports
> around later. I think that happened quite a few times in the past.

The issue is devel/boost and devel/boost138 will not coexist. Is it OK
in your opinion? Since patch is ready for months, providing
devel/boost138 is a matter of several minutes.

>> My comments on the suggested solution:
>> The goal is to have most recent boost by default in devel/boost. Of
>> course, it is possible to provide 1.38 in some separate location.
>> However, this would make ports look like we stuck to 1.34 forever and
>
> Well, about this argument - I'd prefer something objective over something
> subjective any time, and how things "appear" is very subjective.

The objective part of it is it will be slightly harder for a novice to
figure out what port to install. Having most recent stable port in
devel/boost is more easier to understand.

>> Having multiple versions of the same ports installed at the same time
>> is nice idea...
>
> It seems we have some very good examples like openldap ports.

Thank you for example, I am examining it.

Alexander Churanov