Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:51:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Utility for adding a disk...

I'm bringing up this overly beat topic again partially out of
frustration.  The sysinstall utility has the mechanisms needed for
installing a disk, but they will NOT DO ANYTHING unless you actually
install SOMETHING, which I do not want to do.  I realize there have been
a few attempts at creating a utility for simply adding a disk, but they
seem to have all faltered and disappeared.  What I am wondering is if it
would be possible to simply shag various portions of sysinstall to create
a diskinstall?  Just include the Partion, Label and commit steps, and
have it merge with an existing fstab when it commits..?  I am a
software-inclined person (PC at its best ;) and unfortunately I do not
have the hardware experience to grunt out adding a disk.  Right now it
seems to be not only an extreme guru task, but it also requires a touch
of dietism in the mystical workings of hardware and filesystems..

-Brandon Gillespie

(Who just finished an indepth 'discussion' with a unixware cohort who was
astounded to find freebsd had no such utility)