Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:55:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
To:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   question regarding root_disk_unit ...

Hello all,

Aside from the feedback on the install of 4.0-RC2 I gave earlier this morning,
I have a few related questions to things I saw after putting my machine "back
the way it was."

Before I installed the new EIDE HDD, my machine had two scsi disks on an aic
controller. The root partition is da0s2a. I had previously unconnected the
scsi disks when installing 4.0-RC2 on the new HDD because I wanted absolutely
no chance of hosing anything on this -STABLE box (I'm not quite ready yet to
"take the plunge" :).

So, after I install 4.0-RC2 and write down everything for my report earlier, I
tried to reboot back into 3.4-S. When I rebooted, chose "F5" to get to the
scsi disk's boot options, chose "F2" (since I dual-boot with Ebola '98) and it
proceeded to boot 3.4-S. However, things got confused and I received a panic,
error 22, cannot mount root (2).

I remembered seeing messages like this flying in current-digest and 10 minutes
of reading the "help" stuff within the boot loader led me to figure out to say
"set root_disk_unit=0" at the boot prompt and put that variable in my
/boot/loader.conf for future use. No problem. My question is, is
root_disk_unit set for somebody in /boot/loader.conf during an install if
there is a chance of things being confused (i.e. IDE and scsi disks in a
machine such as mine)? I think I remember somebody saying that they were
putting that code into either sysinstall or something so that machines with
this disk configuration (or wierder ones) would happily boot after exiting
sysinstall. My install was flawless simply because I yanked the scsi disks out
of the machine before proceeding. Comments?

Also, a non-related-to-freebsd question (but I know somebody will have the
answer), the root_disk_unit=0 thing fixed me up for booting FreeBSD off my
scsi disk, but when I tried to boot Ebola '98 with the F1 option (also located
on da0, da0s1) it just "sat there" ... I assume this is confusion on its part
because there is a new disk in the system and Ebola '98 is too stupid to do
the Right Thing(tm)? Anybody experienced this behavior with a dual-boot system
after adding an IDE disk to what was an an all-scsi disk system?

Thanks,

-Jr

ps: Again, kudos to all contributors to 4.0! It looks very, very good. We just
need to do some "polishing" around the corners and it'll be as shiny as a new
dime!