Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:29:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        abial@korin.warman.org.pl, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, sherwink@ix.netcom.com
Subject:   Re: Multiple FreeBSD Systems on a Single Disk

> >> Only booting from the first FreeBSD partition (slice) is supported.
> >> The second one can be booted from by making it the first, e.g.,
> >
> >Even simpler: you can install OS-BS bootloader (from /tools), which is
> >much more configurable than boot-easy.
>
> The lack of support has nothing to do with the master boot loader.
> The FreeBSD boot loader only supports booting from the first FreeBSD
> slice (on any disk that can be accessed by the BIOS).

And should be fixed (I've mentioned this before) to boot from the
first ACTIVE (flag 0x80) FreeBSD slice.  Should be a trival amount
of code, and would do what everyone else does, even Microsoft got
that part right.

I had patches for this once, but they got lost when one of the
major changes to the boot code happened.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD