Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:53:50 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Janne Snabb <snabb@epipe.com>
To:        David DEMELIER <demelier.david@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New pkg-message[.in] guideline idea

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, David DEMELIER wrote:

> I would do something like this to the FreeBSD ports, if you agree with
> me I can check every messages and modify them. I can also put
> something in the FreeBSD porter's handbook to write a "pkg-message
> template"

I find it completely useless and plainly stupid to edit the
pkg-messages of all ports to include lots of equal signs for tty-based
formatting purposes. In my opinion the messages in the ports tree
should contain (English language, word based) messages, and if some
visual formatting is desired, it should be done by the upper layer
which displays the message (such as the ports framework, a web site
which displays information about various ports, or whatever).

The more clueful web monkeys have known to separate content from
visual formatting for several years, why should FreeBSD make the
same mistake the web monkeys did when www first became popular?

However I fully support the idea that all the relevant messages
should be displayed at the end of a build/upgrade process whenever
technically feasible (otherwise they will just fly past while I am
having a lunch or whatever). If the boild/upgrade process fails in
the middle, the messages of successful builds/upgrades should still
be displayed, even though the end of the process has not been
reached.

--
Janne Snabb / EPIPE Communications
snabb@epipe.com - http://epipe.com/