Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:40:23 GMT
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/70881: 5.3 beta1 kernel.generic missing from /boot/kernel/

The following reply was made to PR kern/70881; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To: JJB <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
Cc: Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>,
	Joe <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:33:43 -0700

 On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 08:26:46PM -0400, JJB wrote:
 > Brooks Davis wrote:
 > > On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 08:05:10PM +0000, Joe wrote:
 > >>
 > >> Downloaded 5.3 beta1-i386-mininstall.iso, ran md5 checksum and
 > count
 > >> matched, burned to cd and installed using standard/kern-dev.  New
 > >> boot process is missing kernel.generic module in /boot/kernel
 > >
 > > Why are you expecting one?  The kernel on the boot media is
 > GENERIC in
 > > 5.3.
 > >
 > > -- Brooks
 >
 > First of all the 5.3 kernel that comes with the iso file has nfs and
 > core debugging options turned on so it's not a true generic as in
 > what is expected for an stable version based on past stable version
 > back to 3.0.  The 4.x kernel.generic never gets deleted and is
 > always there as built-in safe guard backup if there is problem with
 > compiling a new kernel. Now I realize that there is a new boot
 > process from 4.x so maybe there needs to be a /boot/kernel.generic
 > directory that is a copy of /boot/kernel directory the system
 > defaults to boot from. The function of this new directory is much
 > the same as the kernel.generic file in 4.x. It acts as a built-in
 > safe guard so the box can always have something to fall back on to
 > boot the system so it can be used as platform to fix whatever caused
 > the original boot problems. The bottom line is 5.3 stable should
 > have the same built-in safe guards as 4.x stable versions have. This
 > is really a cleanup item for the release built team.

 It's not reasionable to expect that 5.x will be identical to 4.x.  In
 this case I don't buy your logic anyway since the reason kernel.generic
 existed before was that the boot media didn't actually use GENERIC (due
 to space constratints on the floppies) and that provided an easy way for
 users to use GENERIC without a recompile.  It was never there as a
 backup kernel.  That's job of kernel.old or what ever you you choose to
 copy working kernels to.

 -- Brooks