Date:      08 Oct 2001 16:00:08 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@ehsrealtime.com>
To:        lucas@slb.to
Cc:        , questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PIM's

Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to> writes:

> /me thinks, "Maybe he knows some elisp."

So very, very, very little :)

> M-x diary  :)

That's not a bad idea... Then write a function into nnmail-split that
pumps mail through lisp function to see if it's an appointment and if
it is, add it to the diary... hmmm, this has potential.

> Seriously, all the Unix PIMs I've seen are Outlook clones, written
> with drool-proof electrons, all.  They're good for people trying to
> duplicate their Windows installations on top of Unix, but they don't

Yeah, I have noticed this.

> have the flexibility Unix fans expect.  In particular, most lock you
> into a particular mail client.  (If you don't mind CORBA and GNOME,
> I think Evolution is built on an abstract framework, but I don't
> know of anything built on that framework other than Evolution
> itself.)

I think even evolution suffers from that kind of mentality. I know
that the plugin functionality with Corba is a pain to code. Requires
more brains than I have (but then, so do most things) :)

Thanks for the idea though.

--
Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@ehsrealtime.com>

Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world. - Yeats